The history of Mu Chapter began on February 8, 1909, becoming the first national fraternity of women to exist on Drury’s campus. However, prior to the opening of Zeta Tau Alpha, the women who hoped to become associated with Zeta were first affiliated with the organization Theta Sigma. The five founders of Theta Sigma strived for “true womanhood and maintenance of high ideals of scholarship and friendship” and petitioned to become a part of Zeta Tau Alpha (196). After petitioning in December of 1908, the small group of Theta Sigma became known as Zeta Tau Alpha. For the very first initiation, eighteen Theta Sigmas became one with Zeta Tau Alpha on March 8, 1909 and from years on the chapter has continued to grow.
Though Mu Chapter did not have a fraternity house (and still doesn’t to this day), the women relocated many times, holding their primary chapter meetings in Pearson Hall. Eventually the women of Zeta relocated to an apartment on Washington Avenue and then to the current location of Freeman Panhellenic Hall.
The women currently involved with Zeta still commend the high ideals held by the women who founded Mu Chapter. With the endeavor to achieve superior scholarship and to partake in philanthropic actions, the purpose of Zeta stills hold true since 1909.